This gluten-free Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe is a favorite in our house during the depths of winter: cozy, delicious, satisfying. Stuffed Bell Peppers shine as a side dish for a dinner party or can be eaten as a simple, filling supper. This recipe is adapted from Chef John’s Stuffed Peppers. Depending on the size of the green bell peppers, this recipe makes at between 8 and 10 servings.
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1½ cups water
1 onion, diced
2 Tablespoons of MELT® Organic
2 cups homemade marinara sauce
1 cup beef bone broth
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ lb hot Italian pork sausage (casing removed)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
4 large green bell peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bring rice and water to boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside the cooked rice.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the onions to a skillet, add the Melt and turn the heat on medium-low. Lightly sauté the onions until they begin to soften. Transfer half of the onions to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the marinara sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes into the skillet; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Combine ground beef, Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, Italian parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into the large mixing bowl with the reserved onions; mix well.
- Mix in the cooked rice and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Stuff the green bell pepper halves with the beef and sausage mixture.
- Place the stuffed green bell pepper halves in the baking dish over the tomato sauce, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil, sprinkle some extra Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top of the stuff peppers, and bake uncovered until the meat is no longer pink, the green peppers are tender, and the cheese is browned on top, an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- When serving, pour the tomato sauce over the peppers for added moisture and flavor!